Somewhere around July of 2011 things really exploded at Pleth and we really hit a growth spurt. I think back in the day we had like 3 or 4 employees and were primarily doing business out of our Conway and Batesville offices and today we probably have like 20 or something employees, I don’t know (every time I visit our Jonesboro office I am constantly meeting new and talented folks that have been with us for months). Growth is an awesome thing and I’m so happy that we’ve been blessed with not only an amazing team but also some pretty incredible clients that have allowed Greg, Stephen, and I to see our dreams come to fruition with our company.
Needless to say, it was around July of 2011 that The Cotton Club Podcast went on a hiatus. This was partly due to the fact that our business was exploding and I had several other outside businesses and startups that I was involved with that took all of my time, but the main reason was that the “theme” of the show was always centered around mobile apps, social media, web development, etc., and frankly those things are things we eat, breath, sleep, and talk about all day long so it became a lot like work when I had to prepare shows and research topics as well as schedule guests and all of that so it more or less fell by the wayside when I saw our subscriber base start dropping. Honestly I think people enjoyed the show but just didn’t have time to listen as they were all experiencing growth and change in their lives as well. I still feel really good about the content that we produced in the podcast and have left them available for everyone that might be interested in catching up on some nerds talking about old apps that were really cool back then. 🙂
Well, not that I’m not busier than a group of ants on a snow cone these days, being a new dad and all that, but because I’ve noticed a need for a new show w/ some new content on a variety of topics that are of interest to not only myself but a lot of people I run with these days so after some deep thought and prayer I’ve decided to bring the show back. We haven’t gone in and recorded anything yet but hope to start scheduling some shows very soon. Some of my guests will be familiar because they were on the old version of the show but the topics will be a little different… Here’s sort of a checklist of what you might expect to hear us talking about…
- Disaster Preparedness: Natural Disasters, Craziness in the Streets, and yes possibly even a Zombie Invasion (knowing my friends)
- Information Gathering / Dissemination: How are we alerted to disasters, what role do we play, where does the Government & Media fit in?
- Accuracy & Accountability: What standards are citizen journalists and members of the social media community held to?
- Technology: Obviously when Nerds get together this is bound to come up.
- Communication Platforms: Not only am I tethered to a Smartphone these days but I’m also armed w/ a Ham Radio
- Emerging Trends / Movements: I’m really fascinated w/ the whole Maker Movement (Arduino & Raspberry Pi)
- Much, Much More…
As I mentioned, we haven’t set a date yet for the first show but I suspect it won’t be long. Will definitely keep you in the loop… and just like before, we will have all of our episodes archived on iTunes for download / subscriptions, etc.